An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic, motivated and experienced nurse to join our dynamic team of senior nursing staff within Critical Care. The successful applicant will have completed and obtained the Intensive Care Course and have recent experience within this area.
The successful candidate will demonstrate effective leadership and managerial skills and will enjoy working alongside a team of professional nurses. You will be self motivated, energetic and receptive to change, being able to lead and oversee the delivery of high quality clinical nursing care to patients and families in the critical care environment.
The post may also provide the opportunity of gaining further skills in autonomous decision making with deteriorating patients by working in the Outreach Team. This is a hugely exciting time to be joining Critical Care at The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust.
The role will include operational responsibility for the day to day running of the department whilst on shift - delivering direct patient care. You will also be required to contribute towards professional nurse education and training.
You will be joining a highly motivated team
Main duties of the job
- In conjunction with the ward/ department manager be responsible for the day to day supervision of their ward/ department/team, effectively motivating, and directing staff to ensure that time and resources are managed through effective teamwork.
- To ensure that staff have a clear understanding of their duties and responsibilities and of the standards of performance and conduct expected of them during their span of duty
- To organise their team effectively on a daily basis deploying staff appropriately according to their skills and experience ensuring effective management of workload and prioritising work as necessary.
- To ensure that maximum usage of available bed base is always maintained by utilising agreed operational strategies to facilitate appropriate admissions, and timely discharge to meet the delivery of the EDD process and Nurse led discharge.
- To deputise for ward/ department manager as necessary.
- In conjunction with the ward manager take responsibility for implementing and reviewing clinical practices to ensure that they are cost effective and up to date.
- To contribute towards the new ways of working which support the Trusts objectives and improvement programmes .
- To be an authorised signatory for stock orders, staff time sheets and expenses.
- To support the Ward/ department in promoting new ways of working which support and contribute towards Divisional and corporate objectives and improvement programmes.
Working for your organisation
We work closely with the Transforming Care Institute to encourage innovation and creativity from our team to help improve our patients’ experiences. We recognise outstanding care within our team, supported by the Learning from Excellence scheme and encourage all our staff to get involved. We also highly value safety and quality – with established daily safety huddles, improved communication through our team newsletter and open culture for all staff to suggest improvements.
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust's Future Fit will join both units to form a 30-bedded Critical Care at The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in the next few years. Until then, we currently offer rotations for staff between both sites, in order to gain experience in a range of medical, surgical, trauma, maternity and emergency care specialities.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For full duties and responsibilities please refer to the attached document entitled Job Description.