Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
Consultant in Oncology
We are looking for highly motivated, proactive individuals who are able to work cooperatively and effectively in multi professional teams. Displaying Leadership qualities, a good time keeper, punctual, self-disciplined, flexible and able to adapt. An effective communicator, sensitive and empathetic and capable of listening to others, displays honesty and takes responsibility for their own actions. Someone who manages to work under pressure and who is a bi-lateral thinking problem solver.
Main Duties of the job
- FRCR ( Clinical oncology) or equivalent qualification for Medical Oncology
- Entry on the general Medical council (GMC) Specialist Register in Clinical Oncology via one of the following:-
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) the proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of the interview)
- Certificate of eligibility for specialist registration (CESR)
- European Community Rights
- Evidence of achievement of competencies in line with GMC standards in Good Medical Practices
Working for our Organisation
Our Hospitals are located in Shrewsbury and Telford and are brimming with exemplary teams of hardworking individuals.
Shropshire is a beautiful county ideally located between the north and the south, making travelling around the UK extremely easy. As well as being only a short distance from major cities and busy transport links including Birmingham airport, our county also borders with beautiful north Wales which is abundant in outdoor activities, brilliant beaches, and thrilling scenery.
Both hospitals are based in Shropshire, a short 20 minutes’ drive apart. Shrewsbury has recently been named in the ‘Sunday Times Best Places to Live Guide’ as one of the top places to live in the country. It is a wonderful bustling place, with affordable housing, fantastic schools and great out-of-work activities for everyone.
We want you to find out more about the department and our hospitals, and we invite you to contact us with any questions you may have or even arrange a visit. Please also take the time to read any supporting documentation to really get to know us.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The successful candidates will provide a comprehensive Oncology Service together with consultant colleagues. They will provide Oncology expertise in the management and development of site-specialised cancer services. To collaborate with colleagues within the Department to develop Oncology Services. To be competence in advertised sites.
• To work with and support the established multi-disciplinary site specific teams.
• To participate in the out of hours service and provide acute oncology service.
• To liaise closely with surgeons, physicians and staff in other specialties and within the Trust.
• To provide cover for Consultant colleagues’ leave.
• To provide supervision and management of junior medical staff.
• To undertake teaching, examination and accreditation duties as required and to contribute to postgraduate and continuing education both locally and nationally.
• To undertake clinical audit, continuing medical education, contribute to the annual appraisal process and undertake an annual job planning review.
• To undertake research. The Trust has a thriving Clinical trials department with active encouragement in clinical trial participation.
• To undertake work on both hospital sites, The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) and Princess Royal Hospital (PRH), Telford.
Willing to develop recently commissioned SBRT service
For an informal discussion, please contact: Dr Rozenn Allerton, Consultant Oncologist, firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01743 261000 ext 3942.