Working for the NHS has its benefits - some of those are kindly offered by external companies, and others we have created ourselves.
Please note: these discounts are subject to change.
Easily one of the best things about working for the NHS are the kind discounts companies give us. Below you will find information to external websites offering discounts to NHS staff.
- https://healthservicediscounts.com/ - Healthcare & NHS discounts offering NHS staff benefits from 100s of brands
- https://staffbenefits.co.uk/login/sathnhs - Discounts of products and services
- www.nhsstaffbenefits.co.uk - Discounts of products and services
- Red Guava - Access to a range of discounts through a national website for healthcare providers.
- The Blue Light Card - https://www.bluelightcard.co.uk/ - Access to exclusive discounts such as Prezzo, New Look, EE, National Express and more. Early booking on Services Day events at Alton Towers, Legoland and Thorpe Park! Thousands of discounts on the high street with your physical Blue Light Card
- https://www.vogo.co.uk/ - NHS Discount codes from a variety of well-known UK high street brand.
- 10% off at Midcounties Co-operative Food Store! The stores that will run this promotion are; Midcounties Co-operative Food Mytton Oak Road, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3 8UD. Midcounties Co-operative Food Bicton Heath Shopping Centre, Welshpool Road, Bicton Heath, Shrewsbury, SY3 5AD. Midcounties Co-operative Food Bank Farm Road, Radbrook, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3 6DU. Please note that this is discount will only work in these stores.
- 50% off all pizza's at Dominos. All NHS staff get 50% off all pizza's at Domino's. You must produce an ID card to receive this discount. Not valid with any other promotion.
- 20% discount to Police, Fire Services, Ambulance service and NHS staff at Nandos. To use this discount, we need to see a valid photocard ID card before payment. The 20% discount is applied to the card holders order, up to an order value of £20, and can only be used once a day.
In addition, lots of local companies offer discounts for NHS staff. These include West Midlands Safari Park, Telford Tigers and Shropshire Car Care.
At SaTH your wellbeing matters and that’s why we need all need to take some time to consider the factors which have an impact on our wellbeing.
We want to ensure that our staff are provided with an environment and the correct support that enables and encourages us all to lead healthy lives and make choices to support our wellbeing.
The Trust has a number of arms to pull on that could support you such as:
• Fast Track Physiotherapy Service – This service is open to all staff employed by SaTH and runs within the Therapy Services department at both sites. Referrals can be made by filling in the form on the intranet page. Staff will be contacted within 2 working days and an appointment within 2 weeks.
• Workstation Assessment & Eye Sight test vouchers– For staff who frequently spend time sitting at a desk, it is important that they have a DSE assessment to avoid injuries.
• NHS Fitness Platform - #Doingourbit aims to help keep you healthy, through various activities, from low impact right up to energetic high intensity routines.. This is a free platform developed by the NHS for the NHS, working with talented and generous PT's who have given their time and donated their workouts free of charge.
• Online Exercises – Various free Online exercise videos can be found on the Intranet page and SaTH App.
Healthy Lifestyles and Emotional Support:
• Slimming World - The Trust has joined forces with Slimming World to offer staff a 12 week referral scheme to their local slimming world group
• Staff Cervical Screening Service - Cervical Smear Services are available at both RSH and PRH for staff who are due or overdue their smear test. To arrange an appointment, contact the Colposcopy Secretaries on Ext 5969, 5968 or 5967
• Long Covid – Support forums to provide peer support and a place where colleagues can talk about what they have been through and can relate to others. A long covid toolkit has also been developed.
• Health and Wellbeing Podcasts & Videos - Health and Wellbeing Podcasts and Videos are available on the intranet page which covers topics such as: Stress, Sleep, Exercise, Nutrition and Mindfulness
• Wellbeing Rooms/Rest Rooms - created to provide a quiet space for staff to reflect and take time out away from the demands of the workplace. These are located:
RSH – League of Friends in the Ward Block
PRH – Opposite the Library in the Education Centre
• Menopause – A robust support package including advocates, support webinars, toolkits, clinics and bi-monthly meet ups
• Men’s Health – Bi-monthly men’s forums and men’s MOT
• Burnout – webinars to help you reconnect with self-care and look after yourselves in this period of uncertainty. With long hours, operational pressures and a pandemic, come along and take some time to prioritise you.
• Sleep School – The Sleep School At Work, is a programme proven to radically improve your sleep to help you live better. It will help to Improve sleep quality and morning refreshments levels, Manage daytime stress and mentally detach from work and optimise energy through healthy diet and exercise habits
• Financial Wellbeing Newsletter - Financial wellbeing, debt and budgeting advice, financial plans, energy and money saving tips, local food banks, family financial support, vouchers and discounts, saving schemes.
• Pre Retirement Course - Oak Tree Finance deliver 2 “Planning your Retirement” Seminars to staff per year. The seminar will help staff who are close to retirement age plan for their future once they have left work.
• Will Writing - Dunham McCarthy offer a NHS Scheme which allows you to have access to their team with experts available to help make your will or make a power of attorney.
Wellbeing Wednesday/Wellbeing Team
• Each Wednesday we focus on a different wellbeing topic to help raise awareness and share useful tips, resources and online sessions.
• Some topics we have covered so far:
- Nutrition and Hydration
- Financial Wellbeing
- Psychological PPE
We have also introduced our wellbeing team who walk round our two hospitals to speak to you, ask how you are feeling and what we can do to support you and to promote the importance of looking after ourselves. They will be in their purple wellbeing t-shirts so do look out for them – they are there to help you.
• Health and Wellbeing conversations are regular and supportive one to one conversations focussed on looking after the wellbeing of all our staff and we encourage managers, teams and departments to introduce these into working life.
• The aim of these conversations is to hold a confidential discussion around an individual’s whole wellbeing including physical, mental, emotional, financial and lifestyle and to identify areas where an individual may need support, signposting or regular check ins on their wellbeing and to create a wellbeing action plan.
• In most cases, a health and wellbeing conversation will be held by a line manager or supervisor, but in some instances colleagues may feel more comfortable talking to another trusted colleague about their wellbeing.
If you are a manager, further guidance and briefings will be available
Where can I find this information?
- Intranet page
- SaTH App
- Via the Wellbeing Team
- Via Staff Wellbeing Advisor - Laura Westcott - email@example.com
The Government recently accepted recommendations from the independent NHS pay review bodies which means NHS colleagues under the Agenda for Change contract will receive a pay rise. The pay scales for 2022/23 have now been updated by NHS Employers.
Oaktree Finance - 4 times a year they will visit our Trust to let you know about Financial Planning.
NHS Pension - The NHS Pension Scheme is an attractive benefit for those that work extremely hard in the challenging environment of the country’s health service. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-pensions
Temporary Staffing Bank - Joining the Bank is a great way to increase your earnings. You can pick up a range of shifts in various departments, with an added 12.07% on top of your hourly rate for Bank shifts, plus enhancements for weekends.
Car Scheme - Save money on a new lease car via https://www.cpcdrive.nhs.uk/
Car Parking - Save money on a Trust car parking space.
Car Sharing - Join the pool of people helping the environment by sharing travel arrangements.
Take advantage of Arriva's special NHS Discount on their monthly season ticket. For more information please visit the Arriva website.
Childcare - Information and support available to help make your childcare arrangements plus onsite nurseries.
Support for carers - Information and support available if you have caring responsibilities.
Family-friendly policies - Maternity, paternity and adoption policies and you can request flexible working.
- Coaching and Mentoring - Opportunities to grow and develop and perform at your best.
- Leadership Academy- Leadership and management training for all levels of staff.
- Access to eLearning Courses - Many e learning modules to learn from with access available at home.
- Apprenticeship - there are a growing number of apprenticeship opportunities at SaTH. Find out more on the Apprenticeship page.
The Monthly Award celebrates the outstanding achievements and inspirational work of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals staff members and the values they add to providing greater patient care and staff experience.
If you know a staff member or team that has gone the extra mile to deliver excellent care or service and would like to say thank you, nomination them for a Monthly Values In Practice Award now.
The Annual Awards are our annual employee awards event rewarding staff who have made a real difference and show casing the excellent work and achievements of our Trust.
Every individual at SaTH make a significant contribution to the care the organisation is able to deliver to patients and their families, as the Trust strives to achieve its vision to provide the safest and kindest care in the NHS.
Awards are voted on by panels of judges and staff. We also have an overall Monthly Award winner and Patient Choice Award. Finalists attend a glitzy awards ceremony.
Long Service Awards
The Long Service Awards recognises staff who have made a real difference for their care and loyalty to the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, and their commitment and contribution to the NHS, over 25 and 40 years.
It is a prestigious occasion and staff should feel very proud of their achievements and their dedication for their service to the National Health Service.
We have an active community at SaTH and we love to keep you updated with whats happening:
- Chatterbox - our weekly magazine letting you know what is happening at our Trust.
- Social media - we are very active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkedin!
- Intranet - the internal intranet holds all important information about work and life.
- Cascade briefings take place on a Friday after every Trust Board. Cascade newsletters are published on the following Monday.
- One Minute Briefs are designed to relay important information quickly, in a way that is easy to share with colleagues.
- Freedom to Speak Up Guardians - concerned about risk, malpractice or wrongdoing? It's everyone's responsibility to speak up and raise concerns with our Guardians.