The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust are looking for an enthusiastic Consultant Clinical Scientist. The new post holder will join a team of two whole time and two part time Consultant Medical Microbiologists. The post is whole time however, consideration will be given to those who wish to work part-time or job-share.
The post holder will participate in providing a comprehensive clinical, laboratory, diagnostic and consultative microbiology and infection control service to the two hospital trusts in Shropshire (The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH), Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (RJAH)) as well as Primary Care Trusts in Shropshire and Powys Local Health Board. The post is based at the Shrewsbury and Telford Microbiology Laboratory, which is situated on the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital site.
Main duties of the job
- Part of a team responsible for the provision of a comprehensive clinical, laboratory, diagnostic and consultative microbiology and infection control service
- The post holder will be expected to liaise in a timely manner with clinicians, hospital staff, general practitioners and health protection consultants concerning the diagnosis and management of patients
- To have excellent team-working skills with the abilities and professional attitude to work well in a multi-professional team.
- To deliver clinical and quality targets agreed both nationally and locally with clinical teams and commissioners.
- To work with local managers and professional colleagues in the employing Trust in the efficient running of the service.
- To be subject to the provisions of the Terms and Conditions of Service, be required to observe the Trust’s agreed policies and procedures, drawn up in consultation with the profession on clinical matters and to follow the local and national employment and personnel policies and procedures.
- To participate in the Continuous Professional Development and the Trust’s appraisal scheme.
- To be aware of the responsibility of all employees to maintain a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors and staff and attend all relevant health and safety training.
- Ensure that all Trust-wide standards are maintained to improve the quality of total care to all who come into contact with services provided by The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust.
Working for your organisation
Our main service locations are the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH) in Telford and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) in Shrewsbury which are located 20 minutes drive apart. Together they provide 99% of our activity. Both hospitals provide a wide range of acute hospital services including accident & emergency, outpatients, diagnostics, inpatient medical care and critical care.
We also provide services such as consultant-led outreach clinics at the Wrekin Community Clinic, Telford, the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Gobowen and the Bridgnorth, Ludlow and Whitchurch Community Hospitals.
We employ almost 6,000 staff, and hundreds of staff and students from other organisations also work in our hospitals. We benefit from around 1,000 wonderful volunteers, and our main charitable partners are the League of Friends at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Friends of the Princess Royal Hospital, and the Lingen Davies Cancer Appeal which is based at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For full duties and responsibilities please refer to the attached document entitled Job Description.